Tuesday, April 5, 2011

PLA Virtual Spring Symposium

Last Wednesday I attended PLA's Virtual Spring Symposium and it was fantastic!  Full of ideas, inspiration, tips, tricks and shocking facts about libraries and the future of libraries and I attended from the comfort of home.  The first session was a whole hour on summer reading with librarians from Brooklyn and Multnomah County in Portland.

Andrea Vaughn and Katie Odell talked about their SRC successes and their intense collaboration with their schools.

I took a ton of notes that I'll be speaking with the AIU about this summer to think about for SRC 2012.  As well, the 2012 SRC Planning Team will have their work cut out for them with even more advancements to be made to get even more kids involved from Allegheny County!

The 3 big library systems in Brooklyn (Queens, NY Public and Brooklyn) all combine forces in the summer to get kids reading.  One way they do this is by creating a game that kids complete for prizes.  Here are screen shots of the front and back:

They have one for teens and adults too!


Kids also compete for virtual badges (kind of like girl scout and boy scout badges) for completing particular tasks that, according to Andrea, got very competitive!  Every location was provided the code to create a virtual badge so they could be tailored to that branch's particular program.
So on each kid's online tracking page, they had a profile that would display all the badges they'd earned so far.  Pretty neat!  I wonder if eVanced would do something like this?  Additionally, their software allowed kids to create avatars of themselves (similar to the ones you create with Wii.)  I'll be talking with eVanced about some of these possibilities for SRC 2012.

The whole day was structured so well with simultaneous sessions where you could choose what you were most interested in (would ya'll like that kind of setup in our SRC training?) During the breaks they had polls that people answered:
(I answered that I was most excited about Ann Patchett's new book and that I liked to read in bed!)

They also shared books the presenters themselves were reading:
During lunch, author/poet Diane Ackerman was interviewed (she's one of my favorites so I was swooning over my sandwich!



In the afternoon, Michael Porter (LibraryMan) presented "Can You Library Provide the Electronic Content People Want and Need." This is where librarians all over the country were sitting in silence, shocked.  It's scary thinking about how much content-delivery is changing. Like, this is what a big portion of our community is thinking:



Not always easy for libraries at the moment.




And with even DVDs eventually going away (yep!) we have to do some serious rethinking of our collections:


I don't watch as many DVDs myself.  Instead I'm watching videos/movies/TV shows streaming (through Netflix and Hulu mostly) and there are so many other ways out there to do this:

But Michael provides a refreshing, encouraging point of view:


He always comes back to that equation: Libraries = content + community.  Which brings me to one of the last sessions:


Where librarians discussed some strange and interesting collections and services that have revitalized their libraries.  One location has a library dog who is used for all kinds of programs and services (not just for Read to Rover) and a circulating toy collection (wow!)


It was a day-well-spent in front of the computer!  Here's a shot of my desk and a few of my colleagues:


1 comments:

rebekah said...

This is great! Thanks for sharing, Kelley.