Monday, January 31, 2011

Happy New Year, again!

The Chinese New Year falls on Thursday, February 3rd this year; and it marks the beginning of the Year of the Rabbitt.  So, with festivities pending, I thought that I would recommend some books for you to share with the members at your library throughout the week.  

The first book that I discovered is entitled, The Runaway Rice Cake.  Written by Ying Chang Compestine and beautifully illustrated by Tungwai Chau, this story tells the tale of a strong-willed rice cake and the generosity of a compassionate family.  Much like the story of the Gingerbread Man, the repetition in this book allows for younger audiences to participate in sharing the story.  (I can almost hear young children yelling at the rice cake to come back!)  However, I do have to say that the moral of the story is much more platable than that of its European predicessor.


The next book that I unearthed was a collection of poems entitled, My Chinatown: One Year In Poems by Kam Mak.  While this collection does not exclusively focus on the Chinese New Year, it does provide an enchanting glimpse into the life of a Chinese American child.  The author/illustrator grew up in New York City's Chinatown, and his work really brings life to the experinces of growing up in that specific community.  My particular favorite has to do with uneasy feelings about eating a fish that he had previously encountered at the market...a feeling I'm sure that we have all experienced.


Hopefully, you will have an opportunity to check out these books in the coming week and, if you are interested, I've provided a link for making this adorable craft below.  Enjoy




0 comments: