Friday, November 5, 2010

Time change, or Time to change?

I was listening to NPR yesterday morning as I was getting ready for work, and there was this wonderful piece on how studies have shown that there is a direct correlation between television ratings and daylight savings time.  Check it out here, it is well worth the 1minute 57seconds.  Anyway,  the broadcast got me thinking about this wonderful bumper sticker that use to be displayed in a basement window of the library at my undergraduate institution.  It said, "FIGHT PRIME TIME, READ A BOOK!"  The first time that I saw it I was so inspired that, as a student, I literally went inside and checked out a book to read for pleasure...amazing right?  


Since the time changes this weekend, I thought that this would be a good opportunity, not only to remind you all to change your clocks back, but to encourage you to change the way that you address readers advisory this season.  Whether it means updating your reading lists or creating inviting displays that encourage family read-aloud time; think about how your library could compete with the added attention that prime time television gets this time of year.  We all know hundreds of books that are better than the best episode of Glee-but what are we doing to sell patrons on that fact?

-Lorraine

0 comments: