Monday, November 1, 2010

Fresh ideas for Fall Storytimes

Hi everyone!  I was feeling super inspired by Rebekah's amazing Halloween post, so I thought that I would make a video about this adorable Lois Ehlert book that I found at the SIS library.  When you watch the video, you will notice that I set the reading to a really upbeat music track. (This was an afterthought to the original filming, so please excuse the fact that it doesn't really sync up that well.)  This is a technique that I use to use whenever I found a book with great illustrations but sort of bland text.  It allowed me to spend more time on each of the individual pages without feeling like I was just standing in front of everyone not doing anything. I find that using music during storytime is also wonderful because it gives the kids a really great way to physically interact with what is going on in a book without disrupting the flow of the program.  They can shimmy, they can dance, and that is just so much fun for everyone.

video
I also wanted to share Boo to You! with you guys because all of the art in the book could easily be replicated for fall themed displays or craft projects.  Evidently Ehlert uses a wide variety of found materials when creating the collage illustrations in her books.  But, I had no idea that she used so many photographs of objects instead of the objects themselves.  What an inexpensive and fun way to do something a bit out of the ordinary.

-Lorraine