Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Best Children's Books in 2010 (according to some)


Perhaps some foreshadowing for this year's Caldecott (or perhaps not) the NYTimes just shared their top picks for the best illustrated children's books from 2010 and the Huffington Post shared their Best Picture Books.  I was glad to see that I've read a good number of them (Here Comes the Garbage Barge, Bink and Gollie, Art and Max, Oh No!, City Dog Country Frog and Henry in Love) and fell in love with each one that I read.


I just spoke to a group of older adults last week about some of my favorite kids' books from 2010 and Here Comes the Garbage Barge and Bink and Gollie and Oh No! were among them.  I shared a video of the artist/author of Here Comes the Garbage Barge from Amazon that provides a glimpse into the making of the book.  Fascinating stuff!  He used all real stuff from his house and studio to make the scenes.  And Bink and Gollie is one of the most fun early readers to come out since Mo Willems' Elephant and Piggie series. Oh No! was a huge hit as it's got the silly humor going for it.


These books are all definitely worth checking out (and recommending to little ones!)  It'll be interesting to see too if one of these is indeed the Caldecott this year!  If I had to pick, I'd go for Here Comes the Garbage Barge and its lively, unique, intricate pictures!

0 comments: