Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Meet Lorraine!

Hello,

My name is Lorraine Holahan and I am very excited to be one of the new youth services interns at ACLA for the 2010-2011 school year. I recently moved here from the Atlanta area to pursue my MLIS at the University of Pittsburgh, and I am looking forward to learning more about the city in the coming months.

I graduated from the University of Georgia in 2008 with a B.A. in History and International Affairs, and now I am in the Archives, Preservation and Records Management track at Pitt. I have a great deal of experience with children and have spent the past three and a half years working in youth services in a public library setting. Some of my favorite authors and illustrators include Peter Sis, Lois Lowry, Audrey Wood, Tomi Ungerer, David Catrow, Richard Peck, Shaun Tan, Mike Reiss…the list could go on. Needless to say, I love children’s fiction and it will be really interesting to discover which books resonate with children in this community!

I am most excited to be working with ACLA because I feel that the Summer Reading Program sends a powerful message to future generations of readers. How cool is it that we designate one time of year for communities to come together and celebrate the exploration of the written word? SRP reminds us all that libraries are living, breathing entities that play an indispensable role in society.

While I am not working or reading, I love to spend my time outdoors. I really enjoy jogging, hiking, anything that helps me feel like I am in some remote, undiscovered place. I also really enjoy crafting, and am a bit notorious for being easily inspired. Anyway, that is me…I look forward to meeting you all in the coming weeks.



Find it on the wiki!

4 comments:

Kelley B said...

I must meet Boris and Bagsy!

Patte said...

Welcome, Lorraine.
Patte Kelley

Adaena said...

Welcome to ACLA. This video was hilarious. I was playing it and my officemates asked, "What the heck are you watching?"

Anonymous said...

Welcome, I liked your presentation...Welcome to the ACLA family! Terri Bonow, Director South Fayette Township