Friday, September 24, 2010

"The Invention of Hugo Cabret" goes Hollywood?

I hadn't been working in the Children's Area at my last library for very long when I first stumbled across Brian Selznick’s The Invention of Hugo CabretI vividly remember seeing this massive book sitting alone on the pick-up cart, so I went over, grabbed it, and, without thinking, headed straight towards the juvenile novels. When I reached my desired destination, I was flabbergasted to discover that this 500+ page book not only belonged with the picture books, but that it was supposed to be shelved with the Caldecott Medal winners too.  The best picture book of the year...clearly someone had made a mistake, right?

Well, as I am sure most of you know, the mistake was mine.  I didn't dwell though, because as soon as I opened the The Invention of Hugo Cabret, I felt like I had discovered this beautiful secret of sorts.  I fell into Selznick's mesmerizing tale of mystery, loss, friendship and second chances and I didn’t reemerge from its pages until I had finished! 

Since then, I have recommended this book to friends of all ages and dispositions.  Their overwhelming admiration  has helped to prepare me for the news that The Invention of Hugo Cabret has found a new fan in the notorious Martin Scorsese.  So much so that he, along with a cast including the likes of Ben Kingsley and Sacha Baron Cohen, are currently filming a movie version of the book which is slated to appear in theaters in December 2011.

Although I am still not 100% sure of how I feel about Scorsese converting this book to the big screen, I am happy that the movie's hype may encourage more people to discover the book for the first time.  Anyway, I'd love to hear what you all think!    

-Lorraine

1 comments:

rebekah said...

So I guess I should read the book first? I'm excited!