Thursday, June 17, 2010

Happy Audiobook Month!

Hey all!
So, while poking around online, I discovered June is Audiobook Month!  Until library school began, I didn't know much about audiobooks, and to be honest, was a bit apprehensive of the whole idea...I mean, listening to a book? Can you really pay proper attention to what's happening?  I soon discovered how mistaken I truly was after listening to Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book. What a fantastic listening experience!  I'm kind of hooked now, and am a big proponent of the many positive learning benefits that come with audiobooks.  They engage a completely different type of intelligence, and are a good way to sharpen listening skills and attention span.  Here is a wonderful article that lists all of the benefits of audiobooks from Reading Rockets.   Below are some audiobook suggestions for children, tweens, and teens alike.  Enjoy!


Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson



The Book Thief by Markus Zusak



Bear Feels Scared by Karma Wilson



The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

0 comments: