Some librarians, or just lovers of great literature, are not feeling the Twilight craze, since they don't really see the Twilight books as well written or interesting. But, since the teens love them, we have to promote them! However, there is a way to get your vampire-loving young adult patrons into some great classics. In the past few years it has become popular for writers to take classic literature, by Jane Austen or Louisa May Alcott, and "update" the stories with a Zombie, Vampire, or other monster, theme! These books are entertaining and fun, and usually retain much of the classic story with added fun elements that will be sure to grab a teen's attention. Here are a few great books to suggest:
Two of my favorites:
- Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Classic Regency Romance- now with ultraviolet Zombie mayhem! by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith The title says it all for this one. Elizabeth Bennett is a famed Zombie-killer, trying to save her town from being overrun by the living dead while winning the heart of Mr. Darcy. Teens will definitely eat it up.
- Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters by Jane Austen and Ben H. Winters Join the Dashwood sisters as they fall in love amist the various monsters of the sea.
Others to check out:
- Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dawn of the Dreadfuls by Steve Hockensmith
- Prequel to the mash-up by Seth Grahame-Smith discussed above.
- Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith
- Jane Slayre by Sherrie Browning Erwin and Charlotte Bronte