Monday, January 18, 2010

The Red Carpet of Books

This morning, I'm up a bit early for the Youth Media Awards announcements which are being announced via a fancy video webcast for those of us not able to get to Boston for ALA Mid-Winter.  It's a pretty great way to feel like you're part of the action and excitement.  Simultaneously, I'm watching the Twitter Feed of the awards which is just as exciting!  The hashtag for the awards is #alamw10 if you're interested in going back to see the tweets unfold.  The complete list of awards (which this blog post is not) is available here.  

When they announced the Michael L. Printz Award (which was given to the great Libba Bray for Going Bovine) and the honor books, the crowd went nuts (you know how those crazy teen librarians are!)  It was cool to hear the hoots and hollers! 

The Mildred L. Batchelder Award which honored Big Wolf and Little Wolf, Eidi and Moribito II, none of which I've read, sadly.  And the Award went to A Faraway Island

The Sibert Medal honored: The Day-Glo Brothers (which I LOVED!) Moonshot: The Flight of Apollo 11 (remember Tess Reismeyer singing this book's praises at our spring 2009 District Meeting?)  Claudette Colvin: Twice Toward Justice.  And the winner went to: Almost Astronauts: 13 Women Who Dared to Dream (another book Tess brought to our attention at the February District meeting!) 

The Andrew Carnegie Medal went to the video of Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus which is an amazing translation of that great Mo Willems book in video form.  The humor and kids' responses to the very-determined Pigeon brings that little Pigeon's frustrations to life (they played an excerpt!)

The Theodore Seuss Geisel Award honored: I Spy Fly Guy, Little Mouse Gets Ready, Pearl and Wagner: One Funny Day and Mouse and Mole: Fine Feathered Friends and the Award went to Benny and Penny and the big No No! which I think could be considered a graphic novel. 

Here come the big ones: The Caldecott honored All the World and Red Sings from Treetops: A Year in Colors both of which I recently enjoyed reading and the award went to Jerry Pinkney's The Lion and the Mouse!  A beautiful book!  I cheered inwardly (since others in the office weren't biting their nails in front of their computers like me!)   

And the big one-- and here I actually hoped one particular one I loved would win-- The Newbery honored Claudette Colvin: Twice Toward Justice, The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate (which was nearly the 2010 One Book One Community title this year), Where the Mountain Meets the Moon (which I have at home on my nightstand ready to be cracked open!), and The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg which I hadn't read or even heard of until this morning.  And the winner was Rebecca Stead's When You Reach Me.  Hooray!  I loved loved this book - I actually listened to the audio book while I was in Key West for Christmas - a fantastic little book that wraps a million great elements all in one in NYC in 1979.

I was particularly interested this year, because I am honored to announce that I was asked to run for the 2012 Newbery Committee, whose elections are this April (don't worry, I'll send reminders to vote for those of you who are ALA members!)  It was a real surprise but I'm thrilled to be in the running for a spot on that prestigious committee.  Our own Cindy Richie (from Mt. Lebanon) is the chair of the 2011 Newbery Committee so maybe I can hit her up for some pointers!

Congrats to all the honor books and award winners!  What a handful of great books!

0 comments: