Thursday, December 10, 2009

Exploring the Art of Storytelling

Working on updating the county-wide Performer Directory and having the chance to really explore the creative educational programs that are offered, has been such a wonderful opportunity.  I've always been a huge fan of storytelling.  Sharing stories can create such strong ties between groups of people, and is an art that I have tremendous respect for.  I've gotten so many great references of performers to add to the directory, and through this process I was introduced to the work of Native American author and storyteller Dovie Thomason.  Thomason shares didactic stories passed down to her from her Dad and Grandmother, Dovie.  On her website bio, Thomason writes about her decision to share these stories: "So she began telling those first-heard old Indian stories--stories about making choices--stories that could become a blueprint for a personal value system."   
I plan to listen to some of these stories over winter break.  I can't wait to share this experience with everyone! 


1 comments:

Mary Morgan said...

Dovie Thomason is a big favorite here at the Three Rivers Storytelling Festival. She lives in Harrisburg these days and is great to work with. If anyone ever wants to get together to bring her to Pittsburgh (thereby reducing travel expenses), give me a call. I'd love to have her back here!
btw ... if you like First Nation (AKA NAtive American) storytellers, come to the 3RSTF this coming August. One of our featured storytellers will be Tim Tingle, a Choctaw teller from Texas. Tim is another amazing teller!