Wednesday, November 26, 2008

A Night at the Opera



This past weekend I had a wonderful date! I went to see The Grapes of Wrath Opera put on by the Pittsburgh Opera. I had read John Steinbeck’s book in high school, with my favorite English teacher, so I was excited to see how this work would be transformed into an opera. I had never been to an opera before but I’ve always enjoyed musicals and choir concerts! I’m not sure if I can say that I had a favorite part there were many moments that just took my breath away because of the nature of the story and the music was beautifully arranged. The grandparents in the beginning were comical and the mother’s role was done extremely well. The staging really helped the story progress and gave the audience an excellent visually for what it might have been like to travel during this time in history. I am still shocked and impressed that a whole classic story can be told through song!

I also had the wonderful opportunity as an ACLA intern, to have the “backstage tour” of the Opera House offices this past week and would like to make librarians aware that the Pittsburgh Opera does do different types of Educational Outreach and does have a department dedicated to this outreach. They have lessons plans and materials to be used with The Grapes of Wrath Opera. This could help form a great collaboration program between public library librarians and high school librarians or home school groups. The Opera House also has many events going on through out the year for families and educators to enjoy!

0 comments: