Friday, October 3, 2008

Inspiration from My Triumphant Desk Plant

The fact that I've been able to not only keep this sweet little plant alive for a few months, but thriving, floors me every morning. My mother, an avid gardener did not pass on her inherent ability to care for plants and flowers. But I'm determined to try and change the hue of my thumb to at least a mint-green. But sitting down at my desk, this plant has provided a lovely little lift each morning. And it reminds me how little I am in nature these days. Living in the South Side Slopes, we have lots of concrete and the only living things around our house really are the 2 pumpkins on our stoop and the nearly dead mum on the deck (I haven't yet managed to keep a plant alive at home on our deck yet!) So my little plant and a few titles I ran into last night in the Acorn Naturalists catalog about children and the environment:


I Love Dirt by Jennifer Ward


Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv


Nature's Playground by Fiona Danks (no libraries own this one!)


Roots, Shoots, Buckets and Boots: Gardening Together with Children by Sharon Lovejoy


A Natural Sense of Wonder: Connecting Kids with Nature Through the Seasons by Rick Van Noy

3 comments:

dolores said...

Kelley...how true about the 'nature' aspect of our world. My son, now an 11th grader, had to blog (they have a classroom blog for assignments), an experience they had that they will forever remember in involving nature. They go outdoors (weather permitting) for every class. He talks about this class all the time, so thanks for bringing to our attention how important nature really is and for the great titles :)

Beth@ACLA said...

It's so important to be "in the moment" in our busy lives. Walking through the natural world I am constantly amazed and bedazzled by what I see. Even a dying tree bring a kind of surreal beauty into a world that does not allow us to slow down and appreciate the world around us.

kellypr said...

Kelley, I bought two mums this year. They looked nice for a few days and then they began to wilt. I kept telling myself that they were coming back...the green in their stems meant they could still be saved...I finally got rid of them on Saturday :(