Thursday, October 2, 2008

I actually met Jon Scieszka...well for a minute anyway...

This past Saturday I attended The Library of Congress and Laura Bush National Book Festival in Washington D. C. This was the eighth year for the event. I’ve attended the event before and I have enjoyed hearing different authors speak and having my books signed by authors and illustrators such as Khaled Hosseini, Richard Peck and Mercer Mayer. Authors and Illustrators that I heard this year included Marc Brown, Judy Sierra, Kadir Nelson, Doreen Rappaport and Philippa Gregory. I really enjoyed hearing Kadir Nelson and Doreen Rappaport talk about their new book about Abraham Lincoln. Kadir Nelson drew a picture for the audience and the children really enjoyed his presentation. We sometimes forget how dedicated these illustrators are in their work. Kadir spent time in the Library of Congress looking at illustrations of Lincoln and bought a sculpture of Lincoln’s head to help him illustrate his book. Marc Brown was also fun to hear! He was asked, “What is Arthur really about?” by a child in the audience. Marc responded with, “Arthur’s overall theme is navigating life’s mud puddles.” He also commented on how children need to turn the TV off and said he’s favorite character to write for was DW because of her fun and annoying personality.

I only had the chance to stand in one book signing line because they tend to be fairly long, this year I met Jon Scieszka and he signed my copy of The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid tales. I wish I would have heard him speak as well. I actually spent the morning at the Library of Congress with the other Library Science graduate students. We had a short private tour and a presentation from librarians who work mainly for the congressman. I believe they said there were over 80 librarians who work for the Library of Congress, but you better brush up on your political science studies ( in my option anyway) before you go for your interview at the LOC. I think my passion still lies with children’s librarianship!

1 comments:

Sharon Lovejoy said...

Thanks Laurren for mentioning my book Roots Shoots Buckets & Boots. Goodness, you surrounded me with VERY good company.

Keep up your good writing on this blog. I really enjoy it.

I am currently writing and illustrating a new book about how to unplug children from electronic life and get them involved in cooking, gardening indoors and out, art, nature, and holiday celebrations.

Green blessings to you,

Sharon Lovejoy (sharonlovejoy.blogspot.com)