Monday, October 27, 2008

Fred Stays with ME


Fred Stays With Me! By Nancy Coffelt and Illustrated by Tricia Tusa.
This book was listed on the ALA Notable children’s book list. This is one of the first books that I have seen in a simple easy-to-read picture book that deals with the topic of divorce. Divorce has become a center theme in the lives of many children. During my student teaching, I saw many examples of the impact that divorce has on children. I was also amazed on how many students included information about their families when asked to write a letter about themselves for me to read. Students would include information about living arrangements and so on. I saw this in Pennsylvania as well as in England, where the divorce rates are also starting to rise. The little girl in Fred Stays with Me is lucky to have her silly dog companion named Fred to stay with her no matter who she is staying with. School Library Journal gave this book a stared review and I definitely agree that this is a great book for children!

1 comments:

Beth Kephart said...

Thank you for your post about this book, which looks wonderful.