Tuesday, July 1, 2008

No ALA for Me This Year

But, to follow Suzi Wackerbarth's lead (she has a lovely blog over at The Not-So Quiet Librarian) and she recently posted on how she was 'virtually participating' in ALA via some really cool tools. And I too did the same thing. Here are some the ways I was there:
  • Over at SLJ, extremely coolblogger Elizabeth Bird (of blog Fuse#8 Production) posted really well-done, entertaining, informative and at times, hilarious videos of each of her days' at the conference. They were really helpful to someone who's never been to an ALA conference but who plans to go next year (Chicago - can you say, roadtrip? Who's in?)
  • Suzi mentions Twitter, and I too tweet! And I follow many of the big names in library blogs like Michael Stephens, David Lee King, Meredith Farkas and Karen Schneider, all of whom blogged about the conference and twittered about it too!
  • Another library blogger whom I had the pleasure of meeting at one of PaLA's workshops, Stephanie Zimmerman of the LSLC Training Blog (a great blog for library staff in the Library System of Lancaster Counter) did a cool virtual cafe in regards to ALA this year. While I didn't get to 'attend' the virtual cafe, I read the post on WebJunction about how it works and the wiki they created from the event.
So, you can see, there are a number of ways to take part in ALA's yearly conference without asking your library to shell out the big bucks. And these aren't the only ways, check this out!

3 comments:

Emily I said...

You can access an archive of the WebJunction Library 2.0 Roundtable virtual session here, http://www.webjunction.org/do/DisplayContent?id=20428

Kelley said...

Thanks, Emily!

Stephanie Zimmerman said...

Finally figured out how to track who links to me in Blogger - yeah! The virtual cafe was great. I'm so glad I got to be a part of it :-)